Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Battle Royale- Book vs. Movie

Well to start with- I love both! Many people have compared them to Lord of the Flies. I really don't see it. They both involve children on an island but to me that's where the comparison stops. The feeling and intent behind Battle Royale is very different from Lord of the Flies. Battle Royale deals with issues of facism, government control and horror. Lord of the Flies is a much more psychological book, dealing with survival and basic human nature.
The movie does change a lot of details and a few small timelines from the book but most stuff is very similar. I actually saw the movie first, so when I read the book I kept waiting for the story line where the instructor who is running the game interacts with Noriko... but that wasn't in the book. I was hoping that it would be explained better in the book.
They are very similar in general. The book includes a lot more sordid details- how some of the girls prostitute themselves or the criminal activities of some of the other participants.
Definitely read the book if you love the movie! And watch the movie if you love the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment