Monday, June 1, 2009

Show Review- Hillbilly Hellcats

Wow... where to start. I went to see the Hillbilly Hellcats play at the Horseshoe in Chicago on May 23rd. We got there late and were worried we would only make it for a couple songs but to our surprise and delight they were just finishing their first of three sets. For a free show (donations only) I can't believe how much the band put into it. You can tell they are in it for the love of the music and that was obvious throughout the night.
It was my second time seeing them and I thought they played better this time. The singer was the same but the new bass player and drummer did make a lot of difference. For having only played together for a short time they were amazing. I loved that the drummer played most of the songs sitting down but stood up for all of the Stray Cats covers.
I was also surprised that the band seemed apologetic for playing originals and didn't expect people to know them. All I can say is that they are an amazing band and should we WAY more famous and successful than they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment