Thursday, July 2, 2009

Show Review- Choptops

Another great rockabilly band plays Chicago! The Choptops played the Bottom Lounge on June 25th to a pretty full room. They played with Tracer Bullets, one of the highlights of the evening, The Gravetones and The Strikers.
This was the second time I'd seen Tracer Bullets and both times I was really impressed with their musical ability, especially the saxophone which really added to the band significantly. I definitely recommend seeing them.
I'm not as impressed with the Gravetones as most others, local band or not. I can't get into their music, the lyrics don't amuse me and I spent most of their set hanging out in the bar area with friends.
The Strikers were good but didn't really stand out as anything special, despite some obvious musical ability.
Finally, the Choptops did not disappoint. The crowd could have been more involved but it was a great show, they played fast and hard and put on a good show. The only thing I really took some objection to was the preaching. I defintely get their message and why they said the things they said, but it came off as somewhat hypocritical. They can't say that it is all about the music and not about the fashion when they are wearing what could be a standard rockabilly/psychobilly uniform. I do appreciate their telling the crowd not to judge others on looks, I'm just not sure what makes them the authority.
But I was very impressed by their music, which, after all, was what I went there for.

No comments:

Post a Comment